Tuesday, December 1, 2015

ONCE UPON A TIME SERIES: Snow

TITLE: Snow
TALE: Snow White
AUTHOR: Tracy Lynn
ALSO BY AUTHOR: None in this series.

The initial part of the book, with Jessica at Kenigh, is dreadfully boring and depressing. But if you bear with it, the middle part of the book is fantastic. I love the Lonely Ones. Mouser is my favorite, followed by Cat. I like Raven, but he comes across a bit too "stereotypical love interest" sometimes. Sparrow and Chauncey are fine, but not as interesting, in my opinion. This part of the book makes it worthwhile. Although the end was worse than I remembered. After Snow does this tale's version of biting the apple, the story goes a bit nuts. The Clockwork Man? Really? I think Lynn deviates a tad too much into the fantastical scientific with the solution she comes up with for waking Snow up. Then they have to fix the memory loss, which is cured by true love. The book does have an interesting mix of science and true love magic, but I just don't like the way she handled some of it.

The character of Anne (the "wicked queen") is fabulous. A woman of science who has to hide her knowledge because it's a man's world. But her fatal flaw of vanity proves her undoing, even with her great intelligence.

Alan is a great character, too. I like him.

Snow herself does justice to the rather naive girl from the tale.

But the Lonely Ones are definitely the stars of this book. I recommend reading it just for them.

No comments: