Tuesday, December 1, 2015

ONCE UPON A TIME SERIES: Sunlight and Shadow

TITLE: Sunlight and Shadow
TALE: The Magic Flute
AUTHOR: Cameron Dokey
ALSO BY AUTHOR: The Storyteller's Daughter, Beauty Sleep, Golden, Before Midnight, Belle, Wild Orchid, Winter's Child, The World Above

Yeah, she wrote 9 of the 19 books.

I know nothing about The Magic Flute. I'm not into opera. I don't like musicals. I even wrinkle my nose most of the time when Disney characters burst into song. So I know zilch about the original story and how much this version is different from it.

What I do know is that this book is good. It's not fantabulous, not even remotely the best in the series, but it is good. I wanted to know what happened and I never got bored or frustrated, despite the book's rapidfire first person point of view switches. Sometimes it would take me a few sentences to figure out who was talking, so some sort of little indication would have been nice. Maybe a little picture? Sun/moon for Mina, flute for Tern, bell for Lapin, etc. But overall, I enjoyed it and the story definitely fits in with the run-of-the-mill fairy tales. I liked the characters I was supposed to like, and disliked but understood the more difficult ones.

Sorry I can't do a better review. Maybe someone who knows the opera can help out?

No comments: