Wednesday, December 2, 2015

ROSEMARY CLEMENT-MOORE: Prom Dates from Hell

I picked up the first two in this list at the library's used book store for 25 cents apiece. Definitely well worth it! The writing is crisp and comedic, so it kinda reminds me of mine. It doesn't drag on with side scenes or unnecessary description or monologuing. I'm not going to get too into the details because I don't want to spoil anything, but Maggie Quinn is pretty damn awesome. She's one of those atypical female leads, but not in an annoying way. You know, she's not popular, she's on the school paper and wants to do journalism, her only friend is nicknamed D&D Lisa, she doesn't care about clothes or prom, but she's also not perfect, not pretty every moment like other atypical female leads complain they're not but actually end up being, and not the love interest of some should-be-unattainable hot guy. Well, I guess she kind of is in Prom Dates, but that's one-sided on his part and he's a likeable character, if a bit spineless. My only real complaint about Prom Dates is that there's a bit of anti-goth bullshit. D&D Lisa used to be goth but it was "just a phase" and another goth character who appears briefly is stereotypically into black magic. Blech. But otherwise I really enjoyed this.

No comments: