Tuesday, December 1, 2015

ONCE UPON A TIME SERIES: The Crimson Thread


TITLE: The Crimson Thread
TALE: Rumplestiltskin
AUTHOR: Suzanne Weyn
ALSO BY AUTHOR: The Night Dance, Water Song, The Diamond Secret

Weyn cranks out another historical fairy tale retelling, like Water Song. Crimson Thread isn't as dull as Water Song, but I really only enjoyed the first half of the book. I liked reading about Bridget's family and their trials with employment. I liked her developing her sewing skills and working with Ray to complete the three dresses. But once she agrees to marry the loser son, the story just felt surreal. She takes her younger sister and goes off with this guy to another city in another state. She does well at her job, but he sucks. Then just when she needs him, Ray's back, only to have him disappear again and now she has to go find him to get her sister back. It does fit with the tale, but I just didn't care for this part of the story. I liked the final resolution, especially how she worked in Rumpole-Stiltchen. That was cute. A decent offering, but not one of the best in the series. I'm hoping Diamond Secret will be Weyn's best, but I'm expecting another book that I only like part of.

No comments: