Wednesday, December 2, 2015

A GIRL FOR ALL TIME: Amelia's Inheritance

This one also got two reviews:

FIRST REVIEW:

So I didn't give the first A Girl for All Time book a very favorable review. I'm afraid I don't have one for Amelia's book either. I think I've figured out one of the problems. The author is, I believe, a screenwriter. She kind of fails at writing prose. She switches from past to present tense on a frequent basis and that's Writing 101. Don't switch tenses! I wish they'd get her an editor. Or a better one if she does have one. Gods, I'd even do it! The tense switching drives me crazy.

Amelia's is another book that's a rather big adventure. I don't mind adventures if they're well-written, but these books are so short that it comes on too quickly and everything seems really unbelievable. Although Amelia's is more believable than Matilda's was, mostly because Amelia's doesn't use historical figures. She's in boarding school and is told her father is lost at sea. So she has to go live with her aunt and uncle, but her aunt is slightly insane and her uncle is only interested in her inheritance. He beats her and locks her in her room when she won't just give him the trunk. The maid hits him over the head and they escape into the poor side of town. The maid's brother works in a cheapie theatre type thing as a magician and invites Amelia onstage to have her head chopped off. She freaks because she has no idea what's going on and ends up getting invited to be a permanent part of the act, hooking herself and the maid up with a somewhat decent job. They come up with a con that will get the trunk back from the crazy aunt, but just as they're leaving with it, the uncle drives up. There's a Victorian car chase, a huge accident, the uncle's killed, and Amelia's seriously wounded. But she recovers and oh, her dad's not really dead after all. So yeah, BIG adventure.

And yet, I love my Matilda doll and the idea behind this series so much that I'll keep reading the books.

SECOND BRIEF REVIEW:

That was the original review. I still feel the same.

Ugh.

I love these dolls so much that it's practically painful to read these terribly-written stories about them!

Clementine's took 2 years. It has to be better.

Right?

*sigh*

No comments: