Wednesday, December 2, 2015

AMERICAN GIRL: Felicity

Books Read:
-Felicity's collection 1-6
-Very Funny, Elizabeth
-Felicity's short story collection
-Mysteries: Peril at King's Creek, Traitor in Williamsburg, Lady Margaret's Ghost

Felicity has always been one of my faves. I was charmed by her when she first came out, but I couldn't afford another AG doll. I barely got my childhood Molly. I happily read her books though. I tend to like the "spunky" characters, so she works for me, even though her obsession with horses (much like Kaya's, so the first two chronological rereads are always HORSES HORSES HORSES) doesn't interest me.

The characters in Lissie's books have a lot of depth, which is a great improvement over Kaya. Felicity's parents and siblings, her grandfather, Elizabeth, Ben, even Annabelle. All of them are memorable and well-written. Any reader of the Felicity books is going to remember Loose Tooth Tea, Bananabelle and Jiggy Nye. The time period is important, but only a few books really focus on the whole Patriot vs. Loyalist conflict, so there's a nice balance between HISTORICAL FICTION and fiction that happens to take place in the past, which I like a lot.

I have only two issues that I can think of.

First, where the hell did Posie go? Did I miss that when I was rereading? She gets the lamb in Book 4 of her basic series and then we never see her again. Unless the mentions just didn't stick in my mind.

Second, I've always taken issue with the blonding of Elizabeth. The Elizabeth I grew up with was dark-haired. I don't think it's ever been said why they changed her. AG claims it was to distinguish between her and Felicity, but they had two brunettes and a blonde in their original lineup. If we can distinguish between Samantha and Molly, I think we can tell the difference between red hair and brown. And Elizabeth has a completely different mold! Perhaps the theory that they changed her to match the actress is true. Maybe they just wanted another blonde doll. Who knows? But Elizabeth will always be a brunette in my book.

No comments: