Wednesday, December 2, 2015

STEPHEN KING: The Bazaar of Bad Dreams

I'm a pretty big Stephen King fan, although he writes so much, sometimes I can't keep up. I'm only partway through Revival (that one may be on December's list) and I need to get the novel that came out before Bazaar after I finish that. I also never read Lisey's Story, despite having it in hardcover, and never finished Under the Dome or Joyland. And I need to buy the JFK time travel one, too. And I've wanted to reread The Dark Tower series for ages. So expect more King on these lists.

Anyway, The Stand is my favorite King novel, followed very closely by Eyes of the Dragon, but my favorite Stephen King of all time is when he releases short story anthologies. Night Shift. Skeleton Crew. Nightmares and Dreamscapes. Those contain essential King and some of my fave pieces ever. The Mist is my favorite thing he ever wrote and don't go by the movie, which has a completely different and terrible ending.

Basically, I was really excited to read this and it didn't disappoint.

The standouts here were The Dune and Ur. Batman and Robin Have an Altercation, Blockade Billy, Drunken Fireworks and Obits come next in line. The others follow together in a mishmash. I didn't like Summer Thunder. A bit too depressing and bleak for me. That's why I'm not into post-apocalyptic stuff much. I don't have much patience for bleak, especially when animals are involved. (The reason I stopped reading Under the Dome was the senseless dog death. I love you, Stephen King, but stop having people kill dogs.) Under the Weather was predictable and Afterlife was a bit dull and also predictable. But The Dune and Ur were up there with some of the greats.

No comments: