Thursday, December 19, 2019

REREAD REVIEW: Goddess Girls 4

UK cover
Here's the meat of my original review:

"Artemis the Brave is #4 and the first of the longer books, though still shorter than the subsequent offerings. She spends the story dealing with her first crush. I'm not a big fan of "the tomboy gets a crush for the first time and bumbles through it" stories. Especially when said crush is very obviously a complete ass like Orion is. Everyone knows it except Artemis. Everyone tells her so, but she has to learn the hard way. Artemis is my least favorite of the four main girls. She's a slob and as a dog owner, I have to say she lets her dogs run around way too out of control. I'm also rarely interested in the athletic characters. Not my cup of nectar."

My thoughts on this still stand. I don't like that Artemis lets her dogs just be completely out of control and a nuisance to everyone. She's at a school. It's okay to leave them behind sometimes. They'd be perfectly fine in her room during the short school hours. (They only have four classes, after all.)

German cover

What I do like is all the jokes involving Orion. They must have decided that since he's one of the most famous constellations, that they'd turn him into a star somehow. The names of the theater award stars he wears on his belt are the names of the actual stars in his constellation.

This does make the second book in a row with one of the main girls crushing on a guy that's an ass. That's a bit of a tiresome theme, so I'm hoping Athena has better luck in the next book, which introduces Heracles. I can't remember how he acted in the book, but he has been her long-standing crush for the rest of the series.

Speaking of introductions, we did meet Actaeon briefly at the end of this book. He'll reappear in the future.

No comments: