Wednesday, July 26, 2017

DISNEY PRINCESS BEGINNINGS: Ariel

The newest book in the Disney Princess Beginnings series released today and the focus character is Ariel.

Ariel's sisters are some of my fave Disney characters and I have the original chapter book series featuring them, so I didn't love this book, because they changed the ages and personalities of the sisters from what I've known and loved for years.

I'm consulting Google with the original order, because my memory's a bit fuzzy on some and my books are behind some of my Disney Fairies dolls on my shelf, so they're not easily accessible, but the person who wrote them also knows the personalities from the book series, so I think they're accurate.

So original order: Aquata, Andrina, Arista, Attina, Adella, Alana, Ariel.

Aquata was the leader and Andrina the sporty funny one. Arista is a bit difficult to describe. She loved seahorses in the book. She's maybe the sassy one? A bit bitchy? Attina is the bookworm and the smartest one (and my favorite). She's the most level-headed. Adella is the boy-crazy, vain one, but she's my second fave anyway. Heh. And Alana is the shy, sweet one who loves animals.

That's what I know and love. I know the third movie changed things, which is why, despite my owning it, I've never watched it. I'm guessing this book takes from that third movie instead of the earlier source material (mistake!).

The order in this book is: Attina, Alana, Adella, Aquata, Arista, Andrina, Ariel.

Attina is now the eldest and she seems to have a stick up her fin way more than Aquata ever did. Andrina is still the funny one, but now she's second youngest. Aquata went from leader to the athletic one. Arista seems a little bit the same, and Adella and Alana aren't characterized enough to really say.

I just hate what they turned Attina into. UGH.

Anyway, Ariel, Aquata and Andrina are caught in a rogue wave and have to find their way back home. Ariel summons up the courage to put forth her ideas, even though she's usually intimidated by her older sisters and their level of confidence. A lot of cute stuff happens and I'm just going to let you read it and find out!

I really do love this series and I'm excited for Jasmine, who's up next. It's not the fault of this particular book that Disney stupidly changed the ages and personalities of my beloved mersisters.

No comments: