Friday, July 21, 2017

DEAR AMERICA: Great Migration North

Another one of the good Dear Americas. Color Me Dark is about a family that moves north to Chicago from Tennessee after a member of their family, a black soldier returning home from the war, is murdered. They moved to escape the lynchings and discovered that while some things were better, other things remained the same.

I like the characters in this a lot. Nellie Lee and her sister have a good dynamic.

My only nitpick is a minor one. I actually was convinced this was written by the same author that did Patsy's diary, because Nellie Lee says "Can you imagine?" a lot, which reminded me of Patsy's frequent exclamations of "Imagine that!" It's two different authors though.


Color Me Dark is one of the few that got an HBO short special. I've never seen this one though.

I actually finished this several days ago and am almost done with the next one, so I'll likely review that later tonight. We've got a couple more random topic ones, then we hit the Depression and after that, the Dust Bowl.

No comments: