Friday, July 14, 2017

DEAR CANADA: Halifax Explosion

Man, a lot of crazy shit went on during WWI. Not only is there this huge war, but there's the drama of the suffrage movement, this giant explosion that destroyed a good chunk of Halifax, and a nasty flu epidemic that's coming up in a couple books.

Like most of these Dear Canada topics, I didn't know anything about the explosion until I read this. The diary starts out normally, but once that explosion hits, the writer's family is basically wiped out.

I think the author does a good job of showing different types of PTSD amongst the survivors, and the unraveling family mystery keeps the story from being mired in sadness.

This is definitely one of the better Dear Canadas, because it taught me about something I knew nothing about and did so using engaging characters.

No comments: