Thursday, September 22, 2016

ANYA'S GHOST

I received Anya's Ghost today in my selection of birthday gifts from my best friend. I sat down to read it before work and really enjoyed it.

I'm rather stuck here, because I'd love to talk about it in detail, but that would require giving a rather massive spoiler, which I don't want to do.

Anya, our main character, was born in Russia, but moved to the US before she started school. While she's had time to learn the ins and outs of American culture and she's lost her accent, she still really only has one friend, who's kind of abusive, and is on the outskirts of social life at the private school she hates. After a particularly crap day at school, she falls into a well in a park and meets Emily...who's a ghost. Her bones have been down the well since 1918. Emily helps Anya get the attention of a passing boy and he gets Anya out of the well. And Emily, too. Yep, unbeknownst to Anya, one of Emily's bones ends up in her backpack, so Anya begins life with a ghost friend. At first, it's good and Anya is beginning to get what she wants, but...well, I think you should all read it and find out for yourselves.

I was expecting something very different from what I got with this comic. It's great, don't get me wrong, but it's much darker than I had expected.

No comments: