Tuesday, July 26, 2016

DEAR CANADA & I AM CANADA: French and Indian War

I should have put all four of these together, since the previous review is from the same time period. All of these books cover the French and Indian War. The first one was the Acadian deportation. Brothers in Arms is about the fall of Fortress Louisbourg. The siege of Quebec is covered in both The Death of My Country and Storm the Fortress.

Maxine Trottier, who wrote the excellent Alone in an Untamed Land for Dear Canada, tackled three out of four of these books. The only one she didn't write was Brothers in Arms, which is written by Don Aker.

Brothers in Arms unfortunately was the most boring of the three, so Trottier once again proves herself as a strong historical author. The problem may not have been Aker, but the subject matter, because it's not exactly fun to read chapter after chapter of a losing battle.

The Death of My Country was far more interesting, being about an Abenaki girl, who was raised by a white woman and a white Ursuline nun in Quebec. They attempted the same with her older brother, but he left for the Abenaki settlement instead. His white friend, who was adopted by the Abenaki, is the most fun character and I hoped he and Geneviève would end up together, but nope, he dies and she ends up with a Scottish dude. Eh. He was okay, but I preferred the other guy by far. This book is okay, although I find it a little divorced from the action.
Geneviève does help the wounded, but I never got the feeling she was in danger much and her lifestyle doesn't change much throughout the book. Good, but nowhere near as good as Alone in an Untamed Land. The Christmas short story in A Christmas to Remember is all right, but feels quite tacked on, although that's a problem with several of these, if I recall.

Storm the Fortress was pretty good, because so many of these male-fronted historical books are all war, war, war, battles, battles, battles. This is definitely war, but there's also a lot about ship life, which is pretty interesting. It's also from the British perspective, so quite different from the other three.

So I've learned more than I ever wanted to know about the French and Indian War, and I'm very glad to be done with it and moving on to what is possibly my favorite Dear America ever.

No comments: