Saturday, April 30, 2016

DEAR AMERICA: I WALK IN DREAD

This is the second last Dear America and the only one from any of the series by this author. Unfortunately, I can't judge her writing skills based on this book because I am both angered and bored to tears by anything involving the horrific fucking joke that was these witch trials.

This book lacks the ribbon bookmark that I always loved from earlier DAs. I'll have to try to figure out which one was the first book that lost it. But I'm obsessed with bookmarks and I love the colors on some of those ribbons (like the deep blue one from my previous reviewed book).

This diary is like bits of the trials tucked into dull accounts of two orphaned girls who have been abandoned by their abusive asshole uncle. The older sister is a romance-obsessed lazyass who uses her health issues as an excuse to make her little sister do more of the work. The younger sister is too superstitious, paranoid and holier than thou to be likeable.

To be completely honest, I read this thing to halfway through, which is about when the trial stuff starts, although you're viewing it almost as an extreme outsider. Then I just skimmed the rest. It gets better toward the end when the brother comes home and the older sister grows up a bit.

Overall though, this is one of the weakest and most dull of the entire series. I just could not care about any character presented. They're all fucking boring or irritating or a blend of both. And yet, this is one of the handful that made the cut for the reboot. The cover to the right here is the reissue. Deliverance looks pretty damn bitchy in that cover art, doesn't she? And also WAY older than 13. I mean, seriously, she looks like 25.

Skip this book. Unless you're some diehard witch trials fan (ew) or you're a completist who has to read it all (which I understand, but I apologize for some of these that you'll have to endure).

No comments: