Thursday, July 11, 2024

The New Girl


Thank you, Amazon, for suggesting this to me. It was WONDERFUL.

Lia, her younger brother, and their parents are moving from Romania to Montreal. I honestly don't think it was ever clearly explained why. I assume it was job-related, but moving to a French-speaking city where the kids have to learn the new language the hard way has got to be a struggle. It certainly was for Lia. 

Lia is placed in a class with other new students from around the world, so we get girls from China and Poland and Sri Lanka and New York. 

After struggling a lot at first, Lia befriends some of these girls thanks to English, which she speaks better than French. There's an asshole boy from Romania who's a dick to her. I hate that kid. And she's got a cute little love interest. 

So Lia deals with language drama and friend drama and eventual boy drama, while also enduring the horrors of painful periods. Poor thing gets her first just as they're about to fly out of Romania! 

I love the art and all the characters. It's semi-autobiographical and I'm really hoping the author has more Lia stories for us soon. 

No comments: