Friday, August 11, 2023

Picture Day


Picture Day is the first in what I hope is a new series of middle grade graphic novels. The book is listed with (The Brinkley Yearbooks) behind its title, so I'd love for there to be more.

Viv is a seventh grader who wants to make more of an impression on her classmates. On Picture Day, she chops off her braid in the girls' bathroom while her friend Al(exandra) films it. After that, other students start coming to her for help to make big impressions. One gets a haircut, a pair of mathletes show off their trophy, and one is a dance proposal between two adorable girls. 

Unfortunately, Viv is so caught up helping others that she doesn't realize she's neglecting her best friends. Al is a sports nut who has several brothers. Milo is a fashion genius who's learning how to do electrical stuff, like add lights to a helmet, from his college-age older brother. The trio is planning on dressing up as their favorite characters from Roller Team Space Force (I think I got that name right. I don't have the book next to me.), so they're elbows deep in cosplay creation, trying to get it done before the upcoming con. 

I quite liked this book. It gets its lesson across without being as serious as other middle grade series. Not that I don't like the serious ones, but I like a variety. I'm looking forward to seeing more from this author. 

No comments: