Friday, August 11, 2023

Goddesses & Heroines

This book was suggested to me by Amazon. It's the newest one following three featuring Greek, Egyptian and Norse myths. I have the Egyptian one to be read tomorrow and I plan on ordering the other two pretty soon, too.

It's written for a younger age group. Amazon's listing says ages 7-9. But I actually learned a lot from it. Even with as much mythology as I've read since I was even younger than that age group, there were several deities in here that I had never heard of. 

The book is divided into three sections: Goddesses, Magical Beings, and Mortals. Then it's further divided into even more sections after that (Creator Goddesses, Shapeshifters, Unique Goddesses, First Women, Warriors, etc.). Each section begins with a page showing multiple beings that fall under that heading, and then it goes on to tell 1-3 stories that involve the beings shown. 

It's so good, you guys. Who even cares that it's written for kids? 

I should note that even though it IS written for kids, there is no shying away from the Hawaiian goddess Hi'iaka being mentioned as having a PARTNER, Hopoe. Also female. Way to go, author and publishers. Keep on with that important inclusion. 

The art is phenomenal. I absolutely adore it. It's the main reason I want all the books in this series. 

This was just such a good read. It made me very happy and I can't wait to read the others. HIGHLY recommend! 

No comments: