Wednesday, May 19, 2021

UNSETTLED


I have mixed feelings on this one. 

First, I was completely misled by the Amazon page for it. The absolute first thing you need to know about this book is that it's written entirely in free verse. Nowhere is that mentioned in the Amazon main blurb for the book. If you go down to "editorial reviews," there you'll see it mentioned that it's told in verse, but that should be in the Amazon blurb at the top. I was very excited to dive into a standard prose novel written by a Pakistani woman that's writing it semi-autobiographically. Instead, I got free verse. While she does it excellently, it's still less meat than prose. I actually read through the entire 352-page book while soaking in the bathtub. It didn't take me long at all. 

On the other hand, I do love the characters and the world she created. My disappointment in the free verse doesn't really stem from the verse itself. It comes from the fact that I wanted to spend more time with these characters and everything just flies by. 

So I did enjoy this a lot, but it was over quickly. If you don't mind free verse, definitely pick it up, but I'd recommend grabbing it from the library instead of paying for it. 

No comments: