Thursday, May 6, 2021

TBH 1-8


I've seen this set suggested for me several times but finally caved and tried it out. I'm a fan of experimental writing formats. I loved the Lauren Myracle Internet Girls series, for example. So when I saw these books were written mostly in text/chat format (with the occasional email, handwritten stuff and flyer thrown in for good measure), I knew I'd check them out eventually. 

There are eight books in the series, which take place across the course of the entire sixth grade year, the summer after, then the entire seventh grade year and the summer after. 

The main characters are Cecily (smart, mature, coming to terms with being lesbian), Gabby (Jewish, ADD) and Prianka (Indian, poet). Victoria (new girl, very overprotective mom, kinda goofy but also has good insights) also makes her way in there, but she's never as focused on as the main three. Other supporting cast members swirl around the events of each book.

There's typical middle grade stuff. Victoria tries too hard to fit in and her mom raises hell with the school. The girls deal with growing feelings for boys or, in Cecily's case, a girl. I loved how they handled her liking a girl as if it was just another crush. As someone who's been reading for basically 40 years, this is such a nice change to see. I love when things that weren't even talked about when I was a kid are now included like it's no big deal (because it is no big deal). The books try to be diverse, but the non-descriptive nature of just texting and chatting leaves a lot out. There's another maybe lesbian or maybe they're both bi girl. There are a lot of Jewish girls. Prianka has two male friends that are also Indian. But honestly, I can't think of one student that's definitely black. Maybe one of Victoria's friends from Philly? But it's not super clear. No one Asian other than South Asian. So considering the book went on about inclusivity in some places, it wasn't the most inclusive. Other issues include repeated instances of the girls growing apart or branching out into other friend groups. Sometimes that ends well, sometimes not. Bullying. Not all liking the same things. Seriously, just typical middle grade book stuff that's been handled better by other series. 

It was fun though. I got them mostly at different times, but I could easily have banged out all eight of these in a few hours tops. They're fluff more than anything that makes you really care about the characters, but I still enjoyed myself. Sometimes fluff is what you need.

No comments: