Monday, April 13, 2020

The BSC is back!

As you may have heard, there's going to be a Baby-Sitters Club show on Netflix. Well, apparently in celebration, the series is being re-released for the umpteenth time.

I have to say though, I loooooooooooooove these new covers!

The first 6 books are slated to come out on May 5th, followed by one new volume near the beginning of every following month. So far, Amazon has listings for books 1-15.

I don't usually cave on rereleases, but these covers are so damn cute that I just pre-ordered every listing available. They'll be nice to have out on my shelves, as opposed to my childhood collection, which isn't in the best shape, having been stored in my off-site storage area in Florida during the hurricane.

I don't hold out any hope that they'll reprint all the books, but I'll take what they give me.

So let's take a look at the nine covers we have images for.

Kristy's Great Idea is looking good. Each character is clearly identifiable. Kristy is kneeling on the bed in a slightly more fashionable sporty outfit than what she wears in the books. Mary Anne is a little darling. She looks perfectly in character. Stacey in the lower left is a bit disappointing. She's not nearly as fashionable and sophisticated as she should be. Layered tees? Boring. And those look suspiciously like Mom jeans. Claudia looks decent, but not as out there as she should. I feel like the artist took inspiration from the graphic novels where she's also a bit unusual but not nearly as much as she should be. Claudia's bedroom is on the blah side, but I think a cover that showed all four girls plus how I imagine Claud's room to really look would be way too busy.








Well, Claudia is certainly very pretty, but she's still not dressed like herself.






Okay, now Claudia looks more like herself. In a non-80s fashion.

Mary Anne continues to be the cutest.

That is definitely a very Kristy outfit and she's tiny. Heh.

I think Stacey looks a little better here. Her face and hair are great. But I still can't see her wearing that. Do they not know what sophisticated is?








Another adorable Mary Anne.

Jenny is definitely underdressed though!









Dawn and the Barretts. Looks spot on to me!






No one ever quite gets Kristy's dress right. It's right there on the original cover, but no.

Is that supposed to be Karen? She should be in a similar dress.

And if that's David Michael, then Karen is too short.

Ah, well.






Janine is perfect.

Claud's sweater looks...familiar. Yep, it's almost the same one she wore on the original cover! Yay.






Hey, Stacey looks good here!

Scott could look a bit older though.

This needs an angry sunburned Mary Anne in the background.






And the last one we have so far: Dawn.

She has almost the same outfit as her original cover, too! Nice. They basically just shrunk the oversized shirts. Heh.

Jeff looks maybe a little too small. He's not that much younger than her. I mean, he is, but he's not five or six.

Definitely looking forward to all of these!

No comments: