Friday, December 29, 2017

MY STORY: 1800s Part 2

I took a break from my My Story reread awhile back and did American Diaries in its place. Now with those books finished, it's time to return to the UK's answer to Dear America.

I started Crystal Palace before the break, got a few entries in and was done. I reread the early entries, then made myself finish the book this time. I don't care for this one, because it's not very historical. There are some details about the building of the Crystal Palace in there, but most of it is drama amongst one household of a wealthy family and their staff. I could only take so much of the son being a complete douche.






Crimea is interesting as the war books go, because it goes into the training for a drummer/bugler and it doesn't actually spend too much time on the details of fighting. Everything is seen more at a distance and a good chunk is devoted to just how shitty conditions were for these poor guys. I liked the bit about the Charge of the Light Brigade. I mean, the poem's better, of course, but it was nice to see the historical context behind it in more detail.







I think this is one of the best boys' books. It's so nice to get out of Europe for a change! Lots of action in this one, lots of spying and lots of politics. It's a really interesting read and I recommend it. The Rani of Jhansi was badass and amazing.











I feel like Sweep's Boy is a deceptive title, because he works as a chimney sweep for like three chapters. Then he's a thief. Then he escapes from prison. Then he's with a band of kids living on their own on a rooftop. Then he's a Barnardo boy. It's a good exciting story, but another title would have been better for the story.








The diary of an upper class girl going with her mother to the local workhouse, because her mom's on the Board of Guardians. Edith's a bit naive and spoiled, but she's still very likeable. The other characters are good, too. I like Rosie a lot. Well-written and a nice change of pace from the very fast-paced, action-packed previous two.

No comments: