Wednesday, November 8, 2017

MY STORY: 1800s Part 1

Trafalgar's another ship life book, but it's actually quite a good one. Lots of action and decent characters.

The actual battle takes up very little of the book near the end.













Waterloo is by the same author and again, it's quite engaging. There's a murder mystery wound through it and quite a bit of intrigue. The main character isn't a soldier himself, but a servant to one of the officers, so he sees a lot of the action without the kid in battle aspect.

Both of these are better than my tiny blurbs are making them sound. If a book is good, sometimes I don't have much to say about it!



A teeny picture is what I could find for this particular cover. These are the older covers that I favor, even though I actually don't possess them for this book or the next. I have the newer, mostly white covers.

Mill Girl sums it up. Poor girl has to go to work in the mill. Her family kinda sucks. Sucky things happen to other poor people around her. But things work out okay in the end.






I love this cover. I should track this version down, but it's hard picking the cover when you have to import.

This one's quite the fairy tale. I mean, it's a depressing fairy tale, because Irish potato famine, but still. The girl goes to work in her wealthy landlord's house and she and the son fall for each other. He runs away to join the resistance, which is where her older brother is. With her mother dying, she goes to find her brother and fails, then when she returns, the house is burnt and the rest of the family is all gone. Then she goes to find them and ends up working for the resistance alongside the landlord's son. They run off to the US together and happen to find the rest of her family, minus her mother who predictably died as she was very sick before, and they all leave together. 

It's good, but more fairy tale-ish than historical.

Considering I've left the next book sit maybe 1/4 finished for several days, I'm taking a break from My Story and switching over to American Diaries for awhile.

No comments: