Tuesday, September 26, 2017

AMERICAN SISTERS 1905 & 1912

I finished my reread yesterday and I've actually decided to sell this set of nine books. I don't think I'll be missing anything if I never reread them.

Pacific Odyssey was good because it was a different story, but it still had the asshole parents element combined with some horrible racism going on between the different ethnicities in both Hawaii and California.

The story kind of fell apart at the end. Things happened far too quickly, I thought.

Still you don't often have Korean protagonists in one of these books, just Chinese and Japanese, so points for that.


And I did not finish this one. The younger sister Erna is an ungrateful brat and she's the only one of the two that survives. Another of the girls on the ship is portrayed badly, and the thing that bothered me is that the author used actual people for this. Not their actual experiences, just their names. She did this with previous books, but she had more written sources, diaries, books, etc. to work with so you got an idea of the people. Not here. She literally just picked some names. So after reading that in the back of the book, I closed it and did not finish.

Next up is the Life and Times miniseries. I don't want to call them a trilogy, because there are 3 but they're not connected, and I don't want to say series because again, there are only 3. These books take place in ancient times, so we've got Maia in 1463 BC Egypt (with the most gorgeous cover art ever), Pandora in 399 BC Athens, and Atticus in 30 BC Rome. The Greek and Roman books were written by Barry Denenberg, who we all know and sometimes like, sometimes don't. The Egyptian one was done by Ann Turner, who wrote a couple Dear Americas.

No comments: