Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Vintage Horror Anthologies

 
I don't remember where I got this book, but in 1991 when it was published, I was 13 and into all the young adult horror out at the time. It was possibly a book fair or the bookstore. 

Vampires is an anthology of short stories geared towards an age group slightly younger than, say, Christopher Pike's readers. Tweens probably, even though we didn't have that word back then. But that doesn't make the stories any less effective. I have read a LOT of horror in my years and this book is always with my favorites where I can get to it easily for a quick reread. 

On the back cover, it mentioned they did a similar book called Werewolves, but even though I search the local libraries and bookstores, I never found it. I came to believe it didn't exist. I know I thought of it a few times over my internet-accessible years, but only recently did I decide to finally look it up. I found a used library copy for about eight bucks on ebay and it arrived today. 


I'll always prefer vampires to werewolves, but the stories are still excellent. Even though I just got some library books today (not that I need them, but I learned about a newer Lauren Myracle series and wanted to read them without spending money), I opened this and read it cover to cover without even thinking about the books from the library. 

If you like a good horror anthology, check these out. Yolen and Greenberg did other anthologies, too, and I'm going to try to find cheap copies of a couple of the ghost story ones. Vampires is pretty easy to find and cheap, but you'll pay a little more for Werewolves. It came out in 1988 and doesn't appear to have gotten as big a circulation as Vampires. 


Another favorite anthology from my youth is Raymond Van Over's Monsters You Never Heard Of. This one's for a little older readers, though still not quite to the teen level of the most popular YA horror books of the time. It's very well-written though and a lot of the stories have stuck with me over the decades. This was published in 1989 and it popped right up on Amazon. 

If you prefer a variety of creatures, definitely get the monster book, although I give my highest recommendation to all three of these.


No comments: