Wednesday, May 17, 2017

DEAR AMERICA: Bodie, California

While I haven't tackled them all yet, I think this may have been my favorite of the new additions to the Dear America series that accompanied the reissues.

As fitting a town like Bodie, this book is one hell of a wild ride. It's a murder mystery, a romance, a ghost story, a tale of discrimination from multiple points of view, and it's also got a lot of typical Western elements.

A surprising number of the characters are real people, including Angeline's parents, although in real life, the couple had no children.

The ghost story part is interesting, because most DAs stick with historical stuff and stay away with things more fanciful. I can't remember if any of the others I've read so far have any ghostly elements, except for Elizabeth's Royal Diary and her experiences with the ghost of Katherine Howard.

I think this is a very well-written and engaging addition to the line. It's more fiction-focused than historical, but I'm okay with that in this case.

No comments: