Monday, June 27, 2016

AMERICAN GIRL: Addy

Addy's books are, simply put, the best written of the AG series. Her books always make me very emotional, because they have one of the strongest casts of the entire lot. Possibly the strongest cast. There isn't one unlikeable character there, except for random passing prejudiced strangers. Even Harriet has her decent moments. I care about all of them so much and I usually tear up when the good stuff happens. All the different reunions are so touching. And everything with Addy and her family is interwoven with important historical information so well.

I really enjoy her mystery, too. It's one of the best!

Addy's another one like Josefina that I love so much that I really don't even have much to say. It's hard to compare her with the others, because the books do evoke such an emotional response. I'm not always in the mood for such an emotional journey, so while I do think they're the best and most important of the series, I can't exactly say they're my favorites. Hence...

AG Best to Least Best (they're too good to be called "Worst") Historical Ranking:
-Josefina/Addy
-Felicity
-Kaya
-Kirsten
-Marie-Grace and Cécile
-Caroline
-Maryellen

So Addy gets to share top billing with Josefina, since Josefina's books tend to give me the warm fuzzies rather than the emotional roller coaster ride of Addy's.

Addy is one of the characters that got a new look for the BeForever line. I haven't spoken about that in my reviews yet, despite Kaya and Josefina getting updates, too. Caroline was included as well, but she didn't get redesigned, having been so new at the time of the transition, and of course, she's now retired.

I honestly have not read a single one of the BeForever revamped books. I don't like that they took away the illustrations. I don't think I'll ever connect with any of the new characters like Maryellen or Melody, simply because I loved those pictures and they helped bring the stories to life. They're a big part of my AG nostalgia. I don't think I'd enjoy the other changes to the books either. I can't imagine Addy's stories reading any differently. I do love that blue dress though and if the bad rumors are true and Addy does get retired, I'll have to quick buy her doll.

Addy brings me to the final girl on my first American Girl bookshelf: Samantha. Sam's got so many books that she actually wraps around to the second shelf! That spoiled girl has FIVE mysteries. So it may be awhile until I get to her, but then again, it may not. I kind of have the AG bug!

No comments: