Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Girls Survive Series Part 11



I enjoyed this one. Cora goes through a lot to survive during the Tri-State Tornado event of 1925. The author did a great job of capturing how terrifying this must have been. 


My main criticism is that the characters felt a little too modern in voice. I didn't feel like this was set in 1925. And I'm mad about the main casualty of the tornado. That didn't have to happen and I hate when authors resort to it, as I consider it weak writing. 


It's theme deja vu. One of the books in the last release dealt with Bloody Sunday, which happened in Selma, Alabama in 1965 during right to vote protests. 

This is set a couple years earlier in Burmingham, but it's the same right to vote topic. Not that this isn't important, but maybe space them out a bit more? The difference here is that the children are the ones doing the protesting and getting arrested, whereas in Selma, it was all ages. The majority of this book is set in the jail, which is different from the first one. 

It's a good book. I just don't think the two voting ones needed to be so close. 


No comments: