Monday, February 6, 2023

The First Rule of Climate Club

I recently reread some YA books, including Dress Coded by this author. When I looked her up on Amazon, I realized that book had a sequel that had come out last summer! I dunno how it was never suggested to me by Amazon, but I ordered it and just finished. 

This one is a similar format with first person POV chapters by the main character, Mary Kate, who was a supporting character in Dress Coded. These chapters are blended with lists, letters, flyers, text messages, emails, etc. 

The premise this time is that Mary Kate is part of a new climate change science class, and the class works together to help their community with climate change issues. They create a big festival to earn money for a school composting program while also teaching people about other climate-related issues. 

One of the two secondary plotlines is that Ms. Lane, one of the cool teachers from the first book, is running for mayor. All the kids support her and the existing mayor is an ass. 

The other secondary plot is that Mary Kate's best friend Lucy is mysteriously ill. With the help of a doctor recommended by a guy from the climate change class, Lucy finally learns what's wrong with her and begins treatment. I'm not spoiling what it is, but it is actually tied to climate change. 

This one is just as good as the first. Molly from the first book is an active character here, too, in case anyone was a fan of her and wanted more. I recommend both!

No comments: