Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Disney's Twisted Tales: Reflection


I let myself fall behind on these again. I'm honestly not sure why it took me three attempts to finally finish this book. This is a good series, but I'm constantly pulled away from it by other things. 

But I'm taking a break from historical reading, so it's a good time to work through my backlog of Twisted Disney. 

Reflection is obviously based on Mulan. I would say this one was far less dark than the previous three installments. It's my favorite so far though. 

Basically, Li Shang is injured protecting Mulan from Shan Yu after she fires the cannon that causes the avalanche. Shang's father visits as a ghost and tells "Ping" he can help save Shang by travelling to Diyu, the underworld. 

So aided by the Li family guardian, a stone lion named ShiShi, Mulan is off on a perilous journey through the underworld. ShiShi is an entertaining character who provides some moments of levity, though not like Cri-Kee or Mushu. He's a better fit for the story because Mulan's actual guardians would have been a bit too comic. ShiShi has range. 

The story follows Mulan, Shang and ShiShi as they battle demons, ghosts and an enchantress, who are all out to stop them from making it out of Diyu before sunrise. It's a great adventure tale with a lot of introspective moments and character development. There are some parallels to the movie, but they're minimal. Though Shang does still say "You fight good." Excellent. 

No comments: