Monday, June 15, 2020

MICHAEL FARQUHAR 1

This popped up in my Amazon recommendations and honestly, I'm not sure how I never looked up more books by this author. I've had an older Michael Farquhar book for ages now. I'll get to that one down below.

Bad Days in History is exactly what it sounds like. It's a collection of 365 entries, one per day, that each tell of some bad bit of history. The entries aren't all from a specific time period. You can go from something within the past decade to BCE in the next entry. Its only limitation is that I think it was written in 2015, so it's not exactly up to the present day.

Although happily, a sequel is coming in November!

I've eaten this book up since I got it a few days ago. I finished it last night and promptly picked up the older book I have by the same author to reread it. I have a couple of his other books on their way, too. This is definitely a fun book for anyone that's a fan of history. It may sound like it's depressing, but it's actually not.


This is the older Farquhar book I've had for ages. It was written in 2001, though I didn't discover it until 2005. (Thank you, Amazon, for keeping track of my purchases.)

I'm a big fan of these crazy history books, but this is one of the best. I had "Sex with the Queen" and "Sex with Kings" (yes, I realize how that sounds) and recently reread them before the hurricane, but both were abandoned in the move. This one though? Came with me. Had Farquhar written the first two, they'd have come along as well. but I remember being bored during parts of those, while this one is not boring.

Farquhar has written a handful of other books. A Treasury of Great American Scandals came in 2003 and A Treasury of Deception in 2005. I have both of those on their way in the mail. A Treasury of Foolishly Forgotten Americans is the fourth in the series, though I haven't bought it yet. I plan to soon. And then he's done two "secret lives" books, one on British royals and one on the tsars. I'll be picking those up as well, so expect more of these entries soonish.

No comments: