Friday, November 1, 2019

James Howe's Addie on the Inside


I had planned to have both books 3 and 4 done today, but I got sidetracked watching a bunch of spooky TV and only read a few chapters of the fourth book. Another day!

Addie on the Inside is the third book in Howe's The Misfits series. I did not go into this book thinking I would like it for three reasons.

1) Addie was my least favorite Misfit by a long shot.

2) She's even worse in the second book, because she lets her boyfriend be verbally abusive to Joe without nearly enough repercussions.

3) This whole goddamn thing is written in verse.

I'm not sure I've ever made it known, but I do not care for poetry. I was never into it as a kid and by the time I got through undergrad English classes where they forced you to dissect every fucking syllable, I despised it.

On the plus side, I figured a book with loads of pages less than half-filled would be a fast read.

Well, I was right about the fast read. But I was wrong about thinking I wouldn't like it. I actually stayed up until almost 5:30am finishing it.

Addie on the Inside is what her character needed to make her likeable. You get to be in her head and barely have anything to do with anyone else for the entire book, and it makes her so much better a character.

There's a new character in this little world. She's Addie's childhood friend, Becca, and she's turned into a popular mean girl. So a lot of the book involves drama with mean girls, moreso than the male bullying Joe receives in the last book.

There's also a lot of boyfriend drama. The outcome of that is very favorable, in my opinion. No spoilers here though.

Addie's grandmother is my favorite adult character aside from Joe's Aunt Pam. Though Mr. Daly continues to be pretty awesome, too.

The verse constantly changes type, so it's not boring. And a lot of it is basically prose written in verse form.

I recommend this one along with the first two. And I'm going to go ahead and recommend the fourth as well. I've loved what I've read so far. Skeezie might just be my favorite.

No comments: