Wednesday, August 29, 2018

BSC Graphic Novels: Kristy's Big Day

I don't think I've done reviews of any of the BSC graphic novels, but trust me, they're great. I recently got the first four in color (I had bought the original black and whites) not long after the fifth one came out. Well, now the sixth one is here!

I grew up on the BSC. I'm a huge fan. Big-time nostalgia. I loved the first four graphic novels and I was thrilled when they decided to continue the series.

Now the comics have hopped around a bit. The first one matched the first BSC book, but then they skipped book #2 and book #3 became the second graphic novel. Book #4 was the third and then it jumped all the way to book #7 for the fourth. They wanted one with Claudia as the lead and they decided not to make it book #2. When it came time for graphic novel #5, they went back to book #5, while also adding Mallory to the cast, borrowing events from book #14, which is set after Stacey moves back to New York City. So now we've come to graphic novel #6 and it matches up with book #6, except they added Mallory into the cast, which is fine with me. Book #6 happens to be one of my favorites of the early BSC books, so I was really excited for this.

I was surprised at how many times I burst out laughing while reading this. They really went all out with the funny situations and expressions on the characters. So instead of me doing a normal review, I'm going to share the funniest parts of the book!

Forgive my photos. I was too lazy to scan these, so I just used my camera. And then was too lazy to crop them better.






Here's Kristy's mom freaking out when she realizes they have to plan a wedding and plan a move in very minimal time.




In this scene, Kristy has just told the BSC about her idea: the six of them watching the 14 kids that will be around during the wedding planning. It sounds like a load of work, but the bonus is that they're being paid double their usual rate from 9-5 for multiple days.

This is Claudia's reaction to that amount of money.







And here she is trying the tactic on Mary Anne.






Mallory is stinkin' adorable. I love her. And their faces in the last panel while they're trying to get Mary Anne on board with this plan.








EVERY BIT OF THIS IS GOLD.








And it continues.










Kristy's pep talk to herself had me dying.






And this. OMG. Her face. That is kind of a duh, Watson.






Exhausted after Day One. I love how Stacey's got her likely sweaty bare feet all over Claudia. Kristy's just faceplanted.








Dawn is 100% over Karen.






Kristy threatening the boys to behave during the barbershop scene.





And the not often seen rage of Mary Anne on the previous page.

I just love all this. I laughed so many times! Get these. Read them all. Join me in laughing. And then cross your fingers that we get to go to Sea City soon!

No comments: