Tuesday, August 2, 2016

SPACEPOP 1

Spacepop is trying to be the next big thing for girls and they're a bit hit or miss for me. The webisodes (there are 12 out right now) are animated rather poorly with a style that looks like a badly-drawn blend of Winx Club and Monster High. The songs are okay. Not the worst girly property music out there, but I hate how they constantly interrupt the webisodes. It gets old.

The book, however, is surprisingly decent. I honestly thought it was going to be a graphic novel-type thing, but it's a novel with 2 comic sections. The comics are drawn by Jen Bartel, who I know of from Jem comics, and she makes the girls look really great.

The story starts out a bit weak, but as the girls develop the band and join...the Resistance, it improves a lot.  

Each girl is pretty likeable. There is no main character, even though the website makes Athena seem like the leader. She's really not. Athena (pale gray skin with pink hair) is the slightly stuffy, more mature, intellectual one. Rhea is my favorite so far. She's the blue girl. She's sassy, into fashion design, and seems more independent than the others. Juno, the purple girl, is the rough and tumble, athletic, ready to fight one, although she also has an artsy side. Hera is the pink girl. She's kinda like Flora from Winx Club amped up. Very into nature, meditation, serenity, all that jazz. She's the most naive of the group. Luna the blonde is the most spoiled, most stubborn, very into fashion and her image, and very egotistical. You know the type. A bit like Stella from Winx, but without Stella's more humanizing aspects. She's improving though. By the end of the book, she was quite a bit better.

Luna is the singer, Rhea plays electric guitar, Hera's on bass, Juno on drums, and Athena on her keytar.

I'm actually looking forward to the second book now, which surprises me. I didn't expect this to be as good as it managed to be, because the webisodes just...aren't. I can say I'm looking forward to the inevitable dolls though! (Madame Alexander has the license, which ought to be interesting. They're not exactly known for the type of doll I'd imagine this line would need.)

No comments: